Monday 4 June 2007

Europe is the place to be! (alt. Bullshit!)

Hola!
A week of constant (well as constant as it can be) studying with Sol who only wanted to read our old books from Malmö University and Naomi who is a Lily Allen in disguise and is going to have three daughters called Guillermo, Amadeo and Steve (the last after Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi) lead us to today and the highly anticipated horrific exam. At 10 o’clock we sat there and looked and listened to our dictator teacher giving us one last scare before starting to write possibly the biggest amount of bull ever. I even finished off by writing that Europe is the place to be! Ridiculous. The high point was when our dear teacher says “We’re in the university, I’m teaching you to think” – yeah right, you’re teaching us wrong facts, things that can’t be verified anywhere and tell us to repeat them all while threatening us that we will be judged as much on our character as on our academic results. Since when was that encouraging someone to think? Naomi said it best when she said “There is the truth and then there is an arctic canal”.

But it is out of our hands now. It’s kind of weird not to have to think and correct the notes we had to study from. Not to sit and try to figure out who might be hiding behind a Spanish name (Francisco Fernando, Carlos Gustavo, Domingo Sangriento etc) or why we’re once again going back in time and talking about the congress in Vienna. John says he thinks she’ll be nice to us. I guess we’ll just have to see. Her “Que tal el examen” as I handed mine in wasn’t comforting. And oh yes, I corrected her a couple of times, or maybe rather educated her, in my answers… Someone had to!

After the exam I went to look for my English for scientific and technical purposes teacher to ask her why she hadn’t passed me already. She says “You didn’t hand everything in”, I said I believe I did. She says “You missed several, look”, I say well that one I handed in and got back when we did the exercise in class and figured I didn’t have to hand it in again as you had already seen it. Basically she told me I had missed loads of them, when in reality Sol at least had not handed them in either and still passed. She told me if I just write something and hand it in before Friday she’ll pass me. Again the Spanish educational system has shown its great deficits and I will never return to study here. Spain okay, but not for studying. It’s all just bullshit (Sol’s and my theme this week).

So on Thursday we have our final exam here giving I don’t have to do the English for scientific and technical purposes on Saturday. A girl never has a chance to relax.
Hasta luego!
/k

No comments: